Shop Update FAQ

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

I've had a lot of questions regarding my shop updates...I will try to answer some of them here. If I forgot something, send me a note and I will add it!

SHOP UPDATES:
Shop updates, which happen every other month or so, are a scheduled day/time that I add new work to my shop. Previews of new work and notice of when new collections launch happen on FB, via newsletter (check your spam folder) and (previews) on Instagram. I try to vary the time of day, to be fair, but am limited to early mornings/ evenings when my husband is home to help with mr. Juniper.

Shop updates of late are bonkers- meaning, if you want something, you have to show up on time and be fast with the keys. I've garnered some criticism that this atmosphere is kind of stressful...which is pretty accurate (for me too), but that isn't my intention. Scheduled shop updates are a reflection of my new limited working hours (I spend all day chasing after a toddler and do most of my work when I probably should be sleeping). Scheduled shop updates save me time (photographing, shipping, promoting, etc.) and less time spent on those things = more time spent dreaming up new designs and bringing them to life!

SHOPPING:
When shopping on my site, placing things in your cart does not guarantee them. Completing the transaction (paying) is the only way to ensure your items. I have no control over this feature.

I would recommend scoping out what you want before hand and go for those things first and check-out. If you decide to continue shopping and need to place another/ multiple orders, I always combine and refund shipping overcharges.

RESERVES:
I typically don't take reserves on new designs.

PRE-ORDERS:
Occasionally I offer pre-orders for a particular popular design (in the past I've done pre-orders for owls, bears, etc.). I send out notice of when I am offering pre-orders via newsletter and on FB. This is done on an 'honor system'- you send me your request, I make it and once it is finished, I list it in my shop, reserved for you. This is a fairly new system for me, but so far it has been working out!

If you are reading this, you've probably shopped with me before (or might some day), and I really am grateful for your support. It really does impact my life (and my family's life) in a big and very real way. I am thankful to spend my days with Juni and still get to pay the bills doing something I love. Thank you.
(my little "helper"...what the inside of my house (and head) usually always looks like...)

13 comments:

  1. Hi Kylie!

    I would definitely not mind at all pre-paying for a pre-order! That way we both know what we want/are getting. And it is a lot easier (for me anyway) to know I will get the desired beads and not get sniped (sorry for the eBay term!) And I don't mind waiting a month either!

    And I hope you make more pine cones!

    BTW, I checked out your FB photos (dangerous thing to do) and I hope you make more of your fall moon beads too :)

    P.S. I signed up for your newsletter through the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input about the advance payment issue. And I will make more pinecones eventually- they are one of my all time favorites :)

      Delete
  2. I too would have no problem paying up-front for a made-to-order item. If it doesn't sit well with you (I totally understand that too!) then how about a 50% deposit? Or would that cause too much confusion for you? I know invoices and custom listings etc can get really confusing...It seems you're a 'victim' of your own popularity! I'm so glad for you. I can never make the evening updates, but I know that there will be some folk who struggle with the morning updates, so I understand. I have been very lucky with a couple of your updates, I know! Thank you for being so talented. Stick to your guns - do what's best for you and your family, because ultimately, that means you will be happier at your work and the beads you share with the world will be all the more beautiful for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! (for the input and encouragement) :)

      Delete
  3. Hi there! I have yet to purchase from you but will soon. I love your beads and admire the talent it takes to create them! My boys are far from being toddlers and when people say it goes by fast...it sure does! Cherish these times with your little one. Create when you can and your fans will still be here waiting for the updates. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roxanne! I can't wait for the day my little one can come into the studio with me- what little one wouldn't like clay!? :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Kylie,
    Feel free to take my money and put me on a list! I have no problem paying up front for special orders, and in fact I wouldn't expect you to do it any other way. I understand that your creations take time, and that having a family takes even more, so if there us a wait, so be it. Your first priority will always be your little munchkin/family, and I wouldn't expect anything less. I am all about certainty, even if it's a month out :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of paying for items before you make them; easier for us to purchase them and get what we like, and easier for you, not being stuck with cancelled orders. Your work is so unique and I'm grateful for what pieces I've been able to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would gladly pre-pay up front with no problem knowing that I would get what I want. So far I have not been able to purchase items that I want because I was a little late in being able to show. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Donna! More pre-orders will be coming after the holidays!

      Delete
  7. I would also gladly prepay for items. I do think though that if you decided not to do pre-orders and an item went unpaid, it would surely be purchased quickly in your shop. Your inventory selection is slim when an update is over, so I wouldn't worry about that. This last order was so exciting for me because I knew I was going to get something I wanted, and honestly it allowed you to "up sale" it too. I was only expecting a bear and a bead, whereas I left with two bead sets. I was happy and so were you! I think it's great that you're able to do this from home and be with your child. The easier things are for you, the better. Whatever you do, I'm sure it will work out for all. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback Michelle! Now that the shop update/pre-orders is over (and I have some perspective), it went really well. I hope to do it again. Happy Holidays to you too!!

      Delete