moving forward...

Monday, May 12, 2014

Being unique is exhausting. I know most of my readers, also artists, can relate. Before juniper was born, I tried to come up with a unique blog name for a new personal baby/travel blog. I plugged in dozens of names- strange word combinations...how could anyone have possibly thought of that before me...taken. All taken. It was exhausting. My point is that, probably, some one thought of it before you.

As artists and business people, balancing unique and relatable (sellable) is hard. Luckily, what I want to make and what my customers want (and what their customers want) sometimes collide. And, sometimes they don't. I've made quirky creature beads that make my heart happy and sometimes others love them too, and sometimes they collect dust in my bead box. Anyone need a Tapir? Owls are trendy. Their attention is well deserved. They are, in my opinion, one of the most amazing creatures on earth. But, I've started to feel my owls get lost in a sea of others, drowning. HELP. Their uniqueness is diluted. I love seeing others interpretations of the same theme. But, BUT, I strive to stand out. I can't help it. Rebel, that loves tapirs, I guess. This shit weighs on me. And at times, it takes the joy out of creating. In effort to get out of a funk that has been bogging me down, I am changing gears and changing plans, for my next update.

I am scratching the sketches/sample beads that I posted about previously (for those of you that follow my FB page) and am going in a new direction. Some of those beads will stay on my table, because I love them, and some of you seemed to love them too. But for now, a new plan.

First:
I have lots of custom orders/ reserves underway. Firing #1 is happening right now. I am hoping for firing #2 to be finished within the next 1-2 weeks. I will be contacting you as soon as they are finished! I will also have a small shop update of beach houses, beach pebbles, whales, rabbits and a little assortment of other goodies- some sea related, some not.

Then:
I will be working on stock for my first (and only) summer art show. And a collection called, at least for now, "the essence of summer". New moths and a couple others that I am suuuuppper excited about, that I'm not sharing just yet. Also, I hope to bring back some favorites, like bicycles and watering cans and maybe some alliums.



p.s. owls, I still love you

16 comments:

  1. I know what you mean.. :)
    But your owls stay n°1! Nobody can make cuter ones than you!
    Love the watering can!!

    x Ellen L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully understand that compromise between what you love and what sells...although all your beads are gorgeous. Good luck with change of direction - I'm sure it will be fulfilling for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your owls - and still yet to get my hands on one/some but I'm sure that I will mange to one day. Lots of luck with your new ideas - cant wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely feel your pain. The challenges continue on into jewellery design, especially when many of us pull from the same pool of beads to work with, even the handmade ones. I am actively trying to look less and less at what other people are creating, to keep my brain as fresh as it can be, and so that when I do choose to look at others' work, I am doing so in a conscious manner, not merely having my senses bombarded by my Facebook feed. Having said that, I really and truly do think that your beads, and especially your owls, really stand out from the crowd. I love owl beads in general, but yours are like gold dust and I adore working with them, not least because I find them both distinctive and characterful. (But if you have any tapirs going, I will definitely take some of them off your hands too! I loved them when you made them previously.) I'm really looking forward to seeing your new beads, I love the sloths you've shown off on your FB page, although I know they are a revisit rather than totally new. Moths give me the heebie jeebies, but yours look beautiful! I really hope I can snag a watering can too, I am not great at being free at shop update times but fingers crossed they don't all disappear immediately. Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Rebecca! And the sloths will totally be happening eventually. :)

      Delete
    2. OH and if I can find the last of my tapirs, he will be added to your next package. Seriously, remind me.

      Delete
  5. I'd love to tell you to give the owls a rest (because I, too, feel there are way too many out there), but yours are the ones I like!!! And I can never get my hands on even one.... I might not be quite ready for tapirs, but for moths, I'm ready. And allium, yeehaw! I'm holding my breath for allium!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need to get my alliums to start blooming :) A couple more weeks!

      Delete
  6. Hi Kylie - I'm sorry about the tapir - I made it as a one-off for a friend and had no idea you made them too. I was not planning to make any more (I don't particularly like them). As for your owls, please do not stop making them. I love them! They are amazing and you create them with your own unique take. I agree that owls are everywhere these days (including mine) - it's an industry trend that will some day fade, but seriously, if you LIKE making them, keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...yeah, don't make tapirs. You'll end up with a big dusty pile of them ;)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this interesting post. I think for some of us (or at least me) there is an idea that you creative types (smile) just have one fabulous idea after another that springs to life. This is a good reminder that while you love it, it's also hard work and a balancing act. Plus, it gave me a reason to look up "tapir."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my friend asked me to maker her a tapir bead, I had to look it up too! lol.

      Delete
  8. I swear you must have read my mind Kylie! I was thinking the same thing just this week; so many artists, so very few unique designs.. but in a sea of artwork, yours will always float up to the top because you put your heart and soul into what you do. It shows. Your owls are special and as I stated on my, they're just like you. Unique.
    You already know how I feel about moths. I hope you can reserve ALOT of those beauties for me. And I do mean alot. There is a cult of us that photograph them in the dark of night (we call ourselves mothers) they will go gaga over those designs! I already have and you haven't even finished them, LOL!
    Hang in there sweetie. I haven't been in the wearable art social circles long, but I know good honest to goodness *unique* art when I see it.
    (Cindy from VisionQuest Artworks who has too many internet accounts and business names.. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed, Miss Kylie! I make owls, too, and I love them, but haven't made them for quite awhile, lack of orders. Maybe it is time to retire them... or reinvent them. And even when I do make them each one is different than the last! That is the only way I can make a somewhat similar item and keep my sanity! I don't know how people that do true production work can stand it. I love all your pieces, each has such a unique feel and look. And I love the new directions you are headed. I say keep making what your heart wants because when there is obvious love poured into it then people connect to it! I am with Miss Rebecca in that I am trying not to be influenced as much by the constant trolling and with the way these last three months have gone personally, I just don't have the time anyway, which is good. I do have to take a break anyway to prepare for a big art exhibit that I am hosting in July with hidden Qs in the art (our Gallery Q is turning 5!). I best get busy! You space is always a restful one to visit with sweet insights into a creative life. Keep on keeping on, Miss Kylie! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete