Art Bead Ornaments- a blog hop

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I used art beads to create 'bird-cicle' ornaments. I started out with (a slightly larger version of) my ceramic soar bird beads. Each one is completely formed by hand and glazed in one of my favorite hues, copper patina. I paired each bird with an assortment of icey/ frosty/delicious handmade lampwork glass beads (and a few recycled glass beads too). 
Lampwork glass from these lovely shops:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/LilLizaJane
https://www.etsy.com/shop/taneres
https://www.etsy.com/shop/VedasBeads



I will have more soar bird beads in my shop after the new year.

This holiday season is different from most years because it is our new baby's first Christmas! I've been working less, savoring more. We got our "tree" last weekend and spent the day decorating.



So the story behind this sad looking tree...my husband is a naturalist and the preserve where he works is constantly fighting to restore the preserve to its natural state...which doesn't include Buckthorn (an invasive tree that takes over forests). SO, instead of cutting down a "real tree" we took one for the team and put up this 'stick'. Also, trees around here are 50 bucks and this one was free. Also, we are a little weird. Ok, mostly we are a little weird. We decorated it with my vintage garage sale ornament collection and a few of my favorite handmade ornaments. And in complete Linus fashion, a blanket wrapped around the base (and one of Juniper's presents under the tree!).

The blog hop starts on Thursday. Be sure to check out what everyone else has creatively created!
http://artbeadscene.blogspot.com/2013/12/ornamentbloghop2013.html

Happy Holidays!

14 comments:

  1. I love your tree! We usually go to my parent's land near Hartman Creek and cut down a scotch pine (considered a junk tree in our managed forest) but my husband has been busy getting our solar electric system hooked up so we didn't have time to go this year. Instead, we put up the old artificial standby. Not the same, but at least it's a tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tree and I recognize the garage sale ornaments from my own childhood. We had that kind. We have an artificial tree and have had 3 different ones in 25 years because we are so environmentally bent in California. I have grown trees on my 20 acres and I know how long it takes! Have a Happy Holiday season. Debra Freeland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those birds! And he bird-cicle idea is great. Glad you're enjoying your baby time- happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Ornaments - those Birds are totally fab too, really really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ornament is beautiful! I love your twiggy tree - it works! Have a wonderful first Christmas with Juniper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! I love the little bird beads with the gorgeous patina! The tree is adorable and so is the baby. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely patina ornament! Have a wonderful first Christmas eve with your baby, Kylie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your tree is pretty wonderful. As is that little guy! AND your soaring bird beads!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the birds. Your son is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas Kylie and for your family too.
    Your ornaments are special.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bird ornaments are beautiful as are all of your photos (wow the one where your little one is looking at the decoration, such a beautiful expression on his face), I love the christmas tree very creative, I have a bead tree in my living room all year round which is just a couple of twigs in a lovely vase used as extra storage for the beads that are just too pretty to put in a box or draw. Have a magical christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those birds are really beautiful. I also can't bear the thought of killing a whole tree just to look pretty so we've got an artificial one. One year my mom painted a branch white with silver glitter instead of a live tree.

    ReplyDelete