book submission

Friday, February 1, 2013

I finally finished my submission for the Showcase 1000 Beads book. If you haven't entered already, you have until February 14th- better get crackin! Making the beads was the fun part, I got to play around with some new versions of favorite designs (like the birds on a wire bead vs. pendant). I did a lot of experimenting, since beads often fire differently than flat-laying pendants (drippy glazes tend to run). Below are my final 4 favorites.

The HARD part was photographing them to the books requirements. They recommend having a professional shoot them...but well, who has money for that. I would have dished out the moolah if I thought I would use the images again...but the stark white background just isn't my style. I much prefer the rustic/earthiness of my kitchen table of props. I wish I would have taken a picture of my photography set-up for that day....white cardstock taped to a wood box...sheets of vellum on the side  (a make-shift light-box to dissipate shadows) and even a little tin-foil to reflect some light .... And a lot of photoshopping. 
If they reject my beads based on the photography...I can at least know I tried my best!

Did you enter any beads to this book? If so, how did your photographing go?





3 comments:

  1. Your photos look great! I hope they love every single one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that wee barn makes me happy. Reminds me of the red barn on my husband's childhood home! I can still see the cows over the fence begging for the apples! Good luck to you! I had professional photos of three necklaces for a show that I was in last May and submitted them to one of these books but never heard back. So I have no idea if they were ever selected (likely not), but it would be nice to even get a rejection! However, I do have some wickedly good shots of my most avant-garde pieces for my web portfolio! But I am with you on the white. I just cannot make it work and it takes WAY too much editing. I like my stack o' leather bound books and the slate tile from Lowe's and the tiny piece of brown suede mat board as a backdrop. Although I did purchase some cool wood floor vinyl photo drops that I am experimenting with. Good luck to you Miss Kylie! These are all winners in my eyes. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh the owl. sweet little owl is my favorite! I agree, I think your other photos really showcase your beads so much better. But I get why they want a more neutral background. :) I have my fingers crossed that you get in!!

    ReplyDelete