first pendant

Thursday, January 19, 2012

I thought it would be fun to share one of the first pendants I ever made. It is still one of my all time favorites.

Our assignment (in college ceramics) was to find a recipe and make our own glaze. In searching online for glaze recipes, I discovered Etsy (aha!- light bulb). Also, I found this glaze recipe. My favorite glaze ever. It is a satin-matte that ranges from aqua- turquoise-white- almost a purple. I have no idea where I found the recipe and I have since lost it. Even if I found it one day, I probably wouldn't be able to replicate the firing conditions. *sigh.....*




I don't make my own glazes anymore, but would like to someday (when I have a studio outside of our home). If anyone out there in blog-land knows this recipe and wants to share, I would love you forever. Here is is again on a set of jars I made in college.


I made luke wear this pendant on our wedding day ;)


Thanks for stopping by,

KP

6 comments:

  1. Stunning! I LOVE the blue-greens. They make my heart sing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those jars are awesome! I took a pottery class at the Art Center downtown a few years ago and had big plans to make all kinds of cool stuff. Yeah, not so much. I got the hang of throwing but all of my glazes turned out like crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to work/ teach at the Art Center. Don't be discouraged- their glazes were/ are crap! When I started teaching there, I brought my own glazes for students to use :)

      Delete
  3. WOW - that is a fantastic first project! I am quite embarrassed by my first year of art school projects. They are hiding down in the basement - ugh! Wish I could help you with the glazes but I have no clue on any of that stuff!

    Have a super day - Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks a bit like 2-D Blue (was yours a microcrystalline glaze?)... I googled it and found a recipe here: http://www.lakesidepottery.com/Pages/Glaze-recipes-at-Lakeside-Pottery.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to go check that out- thanks :)

      Delete