Making Soap Dishes- How To

Monday, September 12, 2011

I started cranking out soap dishes this weekend- trying to get ready for holiday shows/ etsy sales. Here are some step-by-step images taken with my iphone of my soap dish making process.

1. Get a hunk of clay

2. Roll a slab

3. Choose a texture. Here are some of my favorites: vintage lace, a hand-carved wood grain texture stamp, a purchased vine texture and a spiral door knob.

4. Put the texture on the slab and roll.

5. Peel off the texture plate.

6. Cut out the shape you want with a needle tool. I use an old 4x6 picture frame as my guide.

7. I repeat this process until I have several made. Then I set them aside to firm up a bit.

8. Sponge the edges smooth and start to give it some shape.

9. Let them dry a little more in a curved position. I even put my blue jar collection to work- they work for me as a nice curved surface.

10. Extrude a coil and cut it into even sections. Then roll those into little balls.

11. Attach 4 balls onto the bottom of the dish.

12. Flip it over, smoosh down the balls and give the soap dish a nice curve.

13. Let it dry, fire, glaze and fire again. Then enjoy with your favorite handmade soap! Of course mine are Pigeon River Soaps! I will be collaborating with my mom this holiday season to offer some pretty soap dish/ soap gift sets. Once you've tried handmade soaps, you'll never go back!

5 comments:

  1. They are gorgeous! that is just the coolest process ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing, Kylie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome process photos, Kylie! That looks like a good idea for holiday & birthday gifts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Tutorial - thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you fire them in a kiln or in the oven? If it is in the oven how long and at what temperature? What kind of clay do you use?

    ReplyDelete